[scribus] Easiest way to insert text.

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Fri Jun 3 18:06:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 06/03/2011 10:29 AM, Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:
>
>> I also think Story Editor is a key function.
>> It is not only about copying/pasting text, but it is about editing
>> afterwards. It is very convenient to edit. You don't have to zoom in/out
>> to edit very small captions for example. Or in my latest work, I had
>> text upside/down, so Story Editor is perfect for that. Although it
>> misses a lot of features present in the Properties palette, so a lot of
>> stuff is impossible to do directly in there, i.e. applying a character
>> style (absolutely necessary!).
>> please don't kill it!
>>

> I don't know that there is an effort to simply kill the SE.
> It's more of a recognition of SE's limitations that is the source of
> trouble.
>
> I do agree that some sort in bulk simple editing is needed. Perhaps one
> answer might come from a free-standing plain text editor that can import
> from/save to the document, called up like Gimp is called up, with some sort
> of tags to denote things like paragraph and character styles.
>
> At the moment what we have is a mix of those who don't use and recommend to
> others not to use SE, and those who still use it in spite of its
> shortcomings.
>
> Greg

I think it's been asked here before, but what is the problem with the Style
Editor co-existing with the in frame editing capability?  I can see
advantages to both methods of composing and editing depending on what task I
am doing at the moment.  I recognize that my rather repetitious paragraph
style formatted magazine may not be representative of the work many other
Scribus users do, but the Scribus does tend to try to accommodate all types
of DTP, it seems.  Therefore, with a few updates, the Story Editor would
seem to fill its role quite nicely.  I fail to see the major problems that
necessitate an external editor and fear the issues that potential editor
might bring about.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*