[scribus] text edit problem--bug?

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 19:18:43 UTC 2011

On 07/30/2011 12:08 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Martha Cheng<MCHENG at rollins.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am new to Scribus and think it's great, but have been stopped before I
>> have made any progress. I am using 1.4.0 rc5 on Mac. I am not able to alter
>> my font size or style. It changes in the text edit/story editor box but does
>> not change in my document. Any suggestions? I saw some other comments on
>> this topic but no solutions.
>>
>> thanks
>> mc
>>

> To answer your concern, this is not a problem, but rather, the way Scribus
> works.  When you are editing within the Story Editor, you will NOT see
> changes to text attributes as the Story Editor is not a What You See Is What
> You Get (WYSIWYG) presentation.  However, if you press the green check
> button and exit the Story Editor, you will see your frame has been formatted
> as you desired.
> As was presented, the other option is to edit directly in the frame.  That
> works well for some tasks, but the Story Editor exceeds that method, in some
> cases, i.e., should you wish to use paragraph styles, for instance.  One
> just has to accept that it is not necessary to see a WYSIWYG presentation to
> manage text formatting successfully.
> One of the benefits to Scribus is the option to use either method depending
> on which you find easier for the task you need to accomplish.

I'm not sure that's what she meant.

I've noticed that I may have the cursor in a particular place in the
text, change the font in some way, then type some more, and rather than
the font change as I "requested", it has stayed the same. It's annoying,
but type a bit, then highlight what you've typed, change the font, etc.,
and it probably will "stick" at that point.

It's good to know about using Ctrl+U to update your frame without
exiting so you can see what happened.

Also good to know about Paragraph styles, easily applied to a whole
paragraph after you enter text.

Greg