[scribus] booklet printing?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 25 17:14:05 UTC 2011

On Monday, July 25, 2011 11:28:59 am Gregory Pittman
wrote:
> On 07/25/2011 10:20 AM, Arbee Designs wrote:
> > I'm new to Scribus so not familiar with a lot of the
procedures. I know
> > there has been discussion about booklet printing, but
I'm having problems
> > following that because I'm just not familiar enough
with it. I was using
> > the stable version of Scribus, but on the weekend I
downloaded 1.4.0 rc5
> > and I must stay what an improvement. Most of my issues
are solved, so I
> > thank you for that. The question I do want to ask is
this:

> > Can I print a booklet directly from Scribus? I have
all the layout set up
> > as it should be and I can export to pdf to make the
booklet, but I seem
> > to be having an issue trying to print directly. If so,
where do I find
> > instructions on how to do this correctly?
> >
> > I can print the booklet by exporting to pdf but have a
problem of where
> > the printer will print wider margins on the outside
edges, even though
> > the pdf has even margins which is annoying and I
cannot seem to fix.
> > Maybe someone can direct me to where I can get help
with this?

> > To rectify this print error, the only solution I've
come up with is to
> > use booklet creator which lays the pages out as they
are seen. The
> > problem with this is now I have a three step process
to print my
> > booklet.
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated and I'm sorry if
this has already been
> > covered.
>
> Hi Ruth,
>
> It seems the first thing you want to familiarize
yourself with is the
> idea of having a Double Sided layout in Scribus, and of
a custom size
> suitable for your booklet. Here you will have right
pages and left
> pages, and can get your margins as you wish for each.
>
> It also seems you are talking about printing this
yourself on a printer
> connected to your computer(?). In that case you  will
need to apply some
> sort of imposition, to convert your output suitably.
>
> Greg
>

> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Sorry, but we are trying to solve a problem that was
solved years ago, printing a bookliet from a straight
file. I see little utility in using up developer resources
on the booklet printing problem.

Once you have a PostScript file, printing a booklet is
easy. The package PSUtils provides the horsepower. For
years I used a simple script to convert a PostScript file
of 8.5 x 11 pages to sheets in proper order on 11 x 17
paper. I used a similar script to put a 5 x 8.5 booklet
together on 8.5 x 11.

The first script listed below is called with the name of
the file, less suffix:
-----------------------------------
psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
#lpr $1o.ps
#echo 'switch paper'
#read x
#lpr $1e.ps
#rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps
------------------------------

Now the parameters for the psselect statments may vary a
bit depending on the way your local printer feeds and
spews out paper.

Some things of necessity need to be done in Scribus, such
as producing a PDF X/A or a PDF X/1-a file. Adding more
Gimpish facilities for e.g., bumpmapping text would
certainly cut down on the traffic between the two
programs. But I decided a long time ago that certain
functions need be executed outside of Scribus. Printing is
certainly one of them. Imposition is another. Probably
indexing is a third.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: