[scribus] book elements

Meho R. mehor at gmx.com
Sun Jul 24 22:19:59 UTC 2011

On 24.07.2011 16:54, Adrienne Carmack wrote:
> I appreciate the replies! To answer the questions posed, I am planning to do a pdf ebook and also convert to epub format via another free converter after I create it in Scribus. So if I do a pdf ebook, you recommend a manual table of contents, correct? And if I do each element as a separate file, how do I combine them into one document?
> ___
Be careful about conversions to EPUB and other formats: it is NOT
recommended to create a PDF file and then convert it to EPUB. I'd dare
to say: do not do it EVER, it is almost certain that you'll get one of
the two: low-quality or really bad output, never a good one; no need to
emphasize that "very good" and "excellent" result is pretty much
impossible with conversions. Why not doing it properly: use finished and
edited source files (probably .txt, .doc, .odt etc.) for both formats
separately and create PDF using Scribus, and EPUB using an editor like
Bluefish [1] or JEdit [2]. I recently read a terrific tutorial by Guido
Henkel [3] about how to produce high-quality ebook easily, I hope you'd
find it useful.

[1] http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
[2] http://www.jedit.org/
[3] http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/