[scribus] Making a wide border

Mike Sleger chappa-ai at q.com
Sun Jul 24 21:56:43 UTC 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 11:40 AM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:

>> line
>>>
>>> No, actually, as the color tab sets the color of the frame fill or
>>> background.  I can achieve a 1pt BLACK border, but I want a wider border
>>> than 1pt.
>>
>> This is very easy to do.  I do it all the time with both text and image
>> frames.
>>
>> 1.  Place your text frame (sounds like you already know how to do this
>> part).
>> 2.  Select the text frame and bring up the Properties window (if it's not
>> already displayed).
>>       Windows menu, Properties (or F2 key)
>> 3.  Go to the Line tab of Properties and increase the Line Width from 1.0
>> to 4.0.  (You won't actually see any change to the text frame yet until you
>> finish the next step.)
>> 4.  Go to the Colors tab of Properties and click on the Edit Line Color
>> Properties button (it's the very first, upper-left, button on the tab that
>> looks like a paintbrush painting a line) and select the color you want the
>> line to be.
>>

> Thanks, Mike, but in my initial email I said I cannot CHANGE the line width
> UNLESS I have selected NO STYLE as a line style.  Is that what you are
> telling me to do?

I don't know what "line styles" are.  I just tried it (to make sure I'm not writing baloney), and it works just fine - I made a red 4 pt line/border on a text frame.  The Line settings were blank for Basepoint, solid line (first option) for Type of Line, no Start Arrow or End Arrow, Line Width of 4.0 (points), Miter Join for Edges, and Flat Cap for Endings.  These are all the default settings, except for the Line Width.  Underneath the settings there is some sort of styles listing, but mine is always empty (No Style) because I don't know how it works and haven't needed to figure it out to get my tasks done.  (Getting a project done is usually a higher priority for me than mastering all the various features of a program.)