[scribus] Searchable old style numbers in PDFs

Ipacs Péter peter at ipacs.hu
Wed Jul 20 12:39:47 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I'm new to this mail list and also I'm not a Scribus expert either so please
forgive me if I ask dumb questions.

I got a beautiful OTF font, that has small numbers (old style
numbers) embedded. The only way (I know about) to insert small numbers into
a document is to use the insert glyph feature so that's what I do, I browse
for the needed glyph and I insert it.
When it comes to printing the document Scribus insert the font outline into
the PDF and renders it flawlessly. However, the small numbers are
not searchable as normal numbers. Please take a look on the attached PDF.
I was wondering how could I resolve this problem and the only way that come
to mind is to somehow replace the generated "embedded text" or individual
characters into the PDF with searchable characters. Not sure
my explanation makes sense to you, I just hope so:)
I did search for a solution but had no luck at all.

What do you think, is there any way to reach the desired effect? Having
small number glyphs but replacing the "underlying text" with real arabic
numbers.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,
Peter