[scribus] Printing as Spread

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:49:22 UTC 2011

2011/7/21 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>

> hi,
>
>  Would it be a long-coding task to make available an option that would
>> allow
>> to "Print as Spread" a certain number of pages?
>>
>> What would be involved here if we'd like to implement this in the Print
>> and
>> in the Export to PDF dialogs?
>>

> i guess that it is "easy" to do, if all scribus users agree that they never
> will request anything more complicated than what acrobat reader offers as
> booklet print.

Booklet print is *not* what I have in mind at all here.

> since i'm sure that the day this is implemented, we will have requests to
> do more than that (yourself are talking about "a certain number of pages"
> which won't always match 2), i'm not really comfortable with the idea of
> adding it to scribus.

Per this discussion, it is assumed that a spread can be at least up to 3
pages organized side by side. Since Scribus is already able to *display* 4
pages side by side, why not ask to be able to print a spread of 4 pages?
Then, I only wonder if the limit is purely a matter of simple math, adding
up the pages that would fit a particular need up to n pages (I understand
there has to be a limit, I only wonder what is the limitation, what is the
cost in coding time to enable 4 or 5 or more pages as a spread?).

> what we need is a program whici is able to correclty spreadify PDFs created
> by scribus... and we were very close to have one with podofo impose some
> time ago...

We could discuss about the term "imposition" but in my view, this is *not*
"imposition" (as such) or it is a word abuse. A cover page of a book has
certainly 3 parts (at least) but it is only for commodity that we would
consider them as 3 pages of a spread instead of one single page. At
imposition stage, the cover will be printed n-up on a larger sheet. We do
not expect the printer to assemble first the cover from its 3 basic
components and then impose (really) the work. The final PDF sent to the
printer would have to be a full spread of the 3 elements. Only then could
the imposition happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition

A pamphlet printed at 10K copies would have to be "imposed" n-ups on larger
sheet. (Please refer to the wikipedia article. The picture shows 8 pages on
a single sheet. A letter-size pamphlet would be one of those pages, stepped
and repeated 8 times — but with a gap between each step so the finished job
could be cut to size and then folded). What I am talking about refers to
design and production of logical portions of the work (pages, panels,
sections), created as distinct pages but meant as one body) bound to be
printed together, no matter how they are going to be imposed in the end.

Being able to print as spreads could certainly considered a step towards
imposition but imposition is really another story. For this, I 100% agree,
we would need a distinct program.

For proofing purposes it is very common to print magazines as reader’s
spread. It's a good way to see each spread, as the pages will appear to the
reader. This is done from within the application (proprietary software),
without special manipulation. It's all about convenience, quality control
and proofreading. It also saves costs to be able to print 2 pages on a
larger sheet.

Cheers!

Louis