[scribus] Inserting a page add a text frame

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 01:51:59 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 09:12 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 06:43 PM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
>> I wonder if this might be behavior that anyone else has noted? I am using
>> Ubuntu 11.04 with Scribus 1.4.0 RC5. I have a document currently about 30
>> pages. If I insert a page in the middle of the document, a full page
>> sized
>> text frame is also inserted at the end of the document beyond the last
>> page. This has been happening since at least version 1.3.5.
>>
>> I have been trying to determine what prompts the addition of the text
>> frame
>> and just now have figured it out. I have not tried any other .sla file
>> yet
>> to see if it happens elsewhere, but I'll do that ASAP. The current
>> file is
>> a copy of earlier magazine issue used so I don't have to re-create
>> everything from scratch.
>>
>> Maybe someone else has observed this behavior?
>
> Experimenting briefly, I find this:
>
> Experiment 1
> I made a new doc with automatic text frames, 5 pages.
> I then proceeded to insert a page after page 2.
>
> The result was indeed a 6-page document with a text frame hanging out
> after the last page. I also note that the page I inserted had no text
> frame on it.
>
> Experiment 2
> I made a single page document, placed a text frame on it, then copied
> the page for 4 copies. Then I inserted a page after page 3.
>
> The result was as expected: a blank page inserted, no evidence of any
> extraneous frames.
>
> So perhaps this has something to do with automatic frames.

Experiment 3
Similar to Experiment 1, this time created a 2-page document with
automatic frames. Inserting a page before Page 1, after Page 1, or
before Page 2 all caused the empty added page and floating frame after
Page 3. Inserting a page after Page 2 ended with 3 pages, all with
frames as expected.

Experiment 4 (more of analysis really)
I took the broken 3-page document where I had inserted a page at the
beginning, and compared its SLA file with that of a new 3-page document
with automatic frames.

The <PAGE..../> tags are all equivalent.

The <PAGEOBJECT ... /> tags are not:
The OwnPage variables in the normal file go "0", "1", and "2"; in the
broken file, they go "1", "2", and "1".
The YPOS values on the normal file are "60", "892", and "1724", and in
the broken file are "892", "1724", and "2556"

This "2556" goes along with that last frame being beyond the last page.
So it looks like a combination of a failure to reindex the PAGEOBJECTS
properly and not doing the math right for the YPOS of the PAGEOBJECTS.

Greg