[scribus] PDF/A additional thought-question-request

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:57:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

a little off-topic, but maybe interesting nevertheless:

On 2011-07-20 21:24, Barry McKenna wrote:
> However, I read the June comments that there seems to be no support
> for including EPUB, and I hope that the developers do not feel the
> same way about PDF/A. It seems to me that a Scribus that can't output
> to a password or copy-protected format is missing a major need of
> small/individual publishers and users/readers.

I'm curious - Wikipedia states for PDF/A that "Encryption is forbidden."
Yet in the pdf standard, passwords are mentioned only in relation to
encryption (according to the index). Which makes sense, of course,
because what good is password-protection if you can simply remove it
from a (plain text) file.

So, maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but it seems to me that PDF/A
explicitly prevents password protection (it's primary purpose being to
offer a format for archiving, i.e., making things available to the
future, not preventing access)?

Regards,
Stefan