[scribus] PDF/A additional thought-question-request

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Wed Jul 20 19:24:04 UTC 2011

John,

Thanks for your reply.

I will have a need for PDF/X in the near future because my book will
have some text to in color and for some vector graphs in color.

But I also need copy-protected or password protected pdf output for
my book.

The book I'm developing will have many vector graphics and will
definitely be a viable book in print form, but will be even more
useable as a searchable, bookmarked pdf.

So, I'm trying to understand how to proceed in putting this pdf
together with the end result exported in copy-protected or password
protected pdf output.

I'm just starting out on the learning curve for this.

I think I've discovered some of the basics, but I'm not sure.

It seems that Adobe has produced something called Digital Editions
software which is free to users, like Adobe Reader, but requires
ebooks to be in PDF/A or EPUB.

Reading about the different formats on Wikipedia, I don't see any
references for "PDFX/A." There is "PDFX" and its variants such as
"PDFX/1-a" and numerous other "PDFX/#-letter" formats.

And there is a Wikipedia page for "PDF/A" which is one of the formats
that Adobe's Digital Editions manages, along with EPUB.

*And Google does not return any pages for "PDF X/A."

It also seems that the formal way of referring to these is without a
space after "PDF".

It is my hope that the Scribus developers can clarify their roadmap
regarding these issues. As ebook formats become more and more in
demand, it would seem to me that users could make much use of a
Scribus that could output specifically to PDF/A or EPUB.

However, I read the June comments that there seems to be no support
for including EPUB, and I hope that the developers do not feel the
same way about PDF/A. It seems to me that a Scribus that can't output
to a password or copy-protected format is missing a major need of
small/individual publishers and users/readers.

Barry