[scribus] Problem following the wiki tutorial - section 5

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:48:33 UTC 2011

2011/7/20 Colin Adams <colinpauladams at gmail.com>

> Hello,

Hi Colin,

> I'm thinking about writing a (free, PDF only) book, and I want it to have
> nice coloured sidebars, and other good presentation, so I'm taking a look
> at
> Scribus.
>
> I've installed 1.3.9 (as that is what comes by default on Fedora 14), and
> I'm working my way through the Get_Started_With_Scribus tutorial on the
> wiki. No problems until section 5,
> Working With Layers On A Page.
> This says:
>
> "For the moment, make the text frame as wide as the page and nearly double
> the height of the MastheadBand."
>
> I can't find anywhere where that "For the moment ..." becomes, "Now ..." so
> as to synchronize the text with the MastheadBand. I realize I could just
> adjust the X,Y,Z parameters so the text field coincides with the band, but
> if that is the proper thing to do (I assumed there would be some way to
> synchornize the text field with the band), why am i not told to do that?
> And
> why make the text field initially bigger?

You have 2 elements, one on top of the other. The black band is below and
the red text is on top. The reason for creating a larger text frame is that
you want to be able to see all your text at large size. If the box is too
small, the text will be there but it won’t appear. Instead, you will find a
little red square with an x in the middle at the bottom-right corner of your
text frame. This means there is content in the frame but "too much" to be
displayed. The way to make sure your title will be displayed, is to make the
frame larger "for the moment" and in fact it won’t matter much in this case
if the frame remains like that.

Hope that helps!

Louis