[scribus] Text in frame and Properties > Text dialog

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Sat Jan 29 18:37:47 CET 2011

On 1/29/2011 8:02 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 01/29/2011 10:42 AM, John Culleton wrote:
>> On Saturday 29 January 2011 04:48:59 a.l.e wrote:
>>> hi barry
>>
>>> for a "normal" workflow -- and starting with 1.3.9/1.4 --
>>> i would
>>> not suggest to use the story editor.
>>

>>> ciao
>>> a.l.e
>>
>> I know you are not fond of the story editor, and with the
>> elimination
>> of the direct access path to the style editor it is indeed
>> less useful
>> than before. But other than this regression what do you
>> have against
>> the story editor? I like it, am used to it, and will
>> continue to use
>> it as long as it is available. I quote from the manual:
>> "The Story Editor is the easiest way to enter text
>> directly from the
>> keyboard." (3.10.3.1)
>
> This is great. Now we're getting references to the manual
> like Biblical quotes! :D
>
> I would concur with John, that the Story Editor has its
> uses. As long as you do not need WYSIWYG, it is very
> convenient for adding/editing material from the keyboard. I
> find navigating the frame in Edit Contents mode sluggish.
> Also, in SE, you can edit the text in one place for a whole
> set of linked frames.
>
> The main thing is to understand the limitations of each method.
>
> Greg

I agree with Greg: "navigating the frame in Edit Contents"
is extremely sluggish.

While I import almost all of my text via OpenOffice, I find
it helpful to have the Story Editor also. Please don't make
it go away.

That said, I also hope there are some ideas or schemes at
work to make "navigating the frame in Edit Contents" more
responsive.

Also, Greg: Are you working on "The New Testament?" Any
projections or plans for its release date?

Barry