[scribus] Text in frame and Properties > Text dialog

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Fri Jan 28 16:26:11 CET 2011

> it's a bad idea to avoid using the the PP for text/font
> activities (except if you're heavily using styles!)... and i
> hope that the ongoing work on the PP will attract you back
> to it :-)
>
> you're right that it's probably not a good idea to attach
> text formatting properties to the frame itself (and i guess
> this will have to change in the near future!)... but,
> nevertheless, the PP *always* shows the correct font!
>
> what you didn't get (and this is also what we probably
> should remove from the PP) is that when you're not in edit
> mode, the PP shows the default formatting for the frame...
> which gets overridden as soon as you apply a formatting to a
> selection in the frame.
>
> when you're not in edit mode, the PP should probably show
> the settings which are common to the whole text it contains
> and leave the other empty or grayed out... if it should show
> any...
>
> finally, once you have applied some "local" formatting, you
> will only be using those default formatting if you delete
> all the text in the frame and start typing (and is probably
> also an unlucky choice).
>

> voilà, ... i hope it didn't get even more complicated for
> you... :-)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

ale,

When you say "when you're not in edit mode" what "edit mode"
are you referring to with respect to the Properties dialog?
Do you mean when the text frame is selected and you
double-click in it? Or are you referring to the right-click
 > Edit Text and open the Story editor?

Because I notice now that - at least in Windows - you can
have the Properties dialog open and also the Story editor open.

Also, you write "leave the other empty or grayed out... if
it should show any..." What is "the other"?

Barry