[scribus] Scribus 1.4 and DejaVu Serif Condesed Italic font issue

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 17:49:13 CET 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:55:53 +0100 (CET)
cezaryece <czarek at oferuje.pl> dijo:

>I have FontMatrix installed and running. There are not
>multiple instances of mentioned font. Also in System /
>Administration / Fonts I cant find this unwanted font.
>But... I found "DejaVuSerif*" name in
>~/.scribus/scribus135.rc file, remove it and seems it
>helps.

I should have added something that I discovered about FontMatrix. When
you launch it the first time it searches /usr/share/fonts and ~/.fonts
to find all installed fonts. (It may search the whole filesystem too,
but I know for sure that it looks in those two folders.) The problem is
that it then loads the font list into its own ~/.Fontmatrix
configuration folder. And every time you use it thereafter it uses the
same list from its own configuration folder, even though you may have
removed or added fonts. The only way I can find to get it to update the
font list is to delete the ~/.FontMatrix folder before launching it.

So if it does not show duplicate fonts that does not necessarily mean
that you don't actually have duplicate fonts. As far as I know, Scribus
scans all fonts in the folders set in Preferences every time you launch
it, so the font list in Scribus is always current.

FontMatrix needs a button for "Refresh font list," but if it's there
I've never found it. Not only that, but if you move, add, or delete a
font while FontMatrix is running, as soon as you click on a font to
view it FontMatrix will crash.