[scribus] need PDF help & neglected info

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Jan 16 20:20:43 CET 2011

On Sunday 16 January 2011 13:15:02 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:43:44 -0800 (PST)
>
> Pam daMonium <jnkml44105 at rocketmail.com> dijo:
> >I have Windows XP Pro with SP3 and Scribus 1.3.3.14. (I'm not
> >knowledgeable enough to mess with an unstable version.)
>
> Oops, I just asked for this information.
>
> Let me add that the current unstable version (1.3.9) is almost
> ready for release as the next stable version. I have been using it
> for production work for several months and it is really very
> stable. It has a lot of new and very useful features. Just save
> often, and occasionally do a "Save As" under a new filename as a
> backup.
>
> You can install 1.3.9 alongside 1.3.3.14. Just bear in mind that
> 1.3.9 can open 1.3.3.14 files, but not the other way around. And
> 1.3.9 by default will auto-save a document, overwriting the file on
> disk with its new format. So, to make sure you can still open the
> file in 1.3.3.14 make a copy of it with Explorer and then open the
> copy in 1.3.9.
>
> I suspect 1.3.9 won't solve whatever problems you are having, but
> it's free, so you might as well take it for a spin.

Although sticking with the latest stable release seems intuitively the
safest course it may not be the best course in the case of Scribus.
The developers of Scribus are perhaps excessively cautious about
labeling releases. I consider 1.3.9 to be a stable release. Indeed I
use 1.5.0 for production and download/compile it nightly (a practice
less feasible for MSWin users.)  My current version was released on
January 2, 2011.

There is no reason to hang on to 1.3.3.14 just because it is labeled
"stable". I label it as obsolescent. I suspect that many of the
questions we get here on the list can be solved with an upgrade. I
look forward to the release of (stable) 1.4.0 which will be 1.3.9 with
a few fixes.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: