[scribus] Import pdf file (1.5.0)

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jan 12 19:56:41 CET 2011

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 23:14:22 Owen wrote:

> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >> Can you provide a link or mail me that Pdf directly? I am
> >> curious to poke inside it with Acrobat Pro + Pitstop.
> >
> > Try:
> > http://wexfordpress.com/tex/cover.pdf
> >
> > However the pdf works fine in Acrobat Reader. I saved it as
> > Postscript (print to file) and imported it into Inkscape.  Still
> > pretty crisp and sharp.
>
> Hi John,
> Using 1.4.0.svn
>
> I took your cover PDF and embedded it in a Scribus document, then
> exported the Scribus document as a pdf.
>
> See http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/JC_Exercise.pdf
>
> I then viewed it in Acrobat at 400%. These are my comments.
>
> The embedding, via activating "Embed PDF and EPS files
> (Experimenta), was faithful to the original. Magnifying the
> original barcode 400% in your original cover.pdf and the one I made
> showed no difference in quality which was acceptable.
>
> The Scribus inserted barcode is certainly a lot clearer
>
> I can only assume the original cover design was done with an
> inferior work practice.

He used Powerpoint(!) But then he ran it through Distiller to get pdf
x/1-a:2001 format.

I am now caught in a dilemma. 1.4.0 will import a pdf without going
crazy but lacks Pdf X/1-a which is a requirement. I will try a two
step process: import into 1.3.9 and export as pdf, then import THAT
pdf into 1.5.0.

Stay tuned.
--
John Culleton