[scribus] Import pdf file (1.5.0)

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Wed Jan 12 05:14:22 CET 2011

> On Tuesday 11 January 2011 16:47:42 Peter Linnell wrote:
>> On 01/11/2011 09:44 PM, John Culleton wrote:
>> > I need to import a pdf file created on an LSI template. The
>> > software used may have been Power Point. It was then passed
>> > through Distiller I believe. In any case there is a preflight
>> > report from somewhere that gives it a clean bill of health for
>> > PDF X/1a:2001. It looks ok in Acrobat Reader but at high mags the
>> > bar code gets a bit blurry and some of the text like the OCRA has
>> > stair steps.
>> >
>> >  I created a blank Scribus file the same dimensions of the
>> > incoming document. I imported the pdf. The text is all over the
>> > place and much of it is missing. So on to plan two.
>> >
>> > I erased the pdf import and instead created a full dimension
>> > graphic frame. I input the pdf into the frame. Now the text is a
>> > bit fuzzy and the bar code, which was a bit marginal before is
>> > now blurred enough to be unacceptable.
>> >
>> > All I want to do is overlay the existing bar code with true
>> > vector barcode.  I may try Gimp at high resolution or inkscape. I
>> > just wanted to alert the Powers That Be that there are PDF files
>> > out there that go funky when brought in to Scribus by either the
>> > import method or the image frame method.
>> >
>> > Stay tuned.
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Can you provide a link or mail me that Pdf directly? I am curious
>> to poke inside it with Acrobat Pro + Pitstop.

> Try:
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/cover.pdf
>
> However the pdf works fine in Acrobat Reader. I saved it as Postscript
> (print to file) and imported it into Inkscape.  Still pretty crisp and
> sharp.

Hi John,
Using 1.4.0.svn

I took your cover PDF and embedded it in a Scribus document, then
exported the Scribus document as a pdf.

See http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/JC_Exercise.pdf

I then viewed it in Acrobat at 400%. These are my comments.

The embedding, via activating "Embed PDF and EPS files (Experimenta),
was faithful to the original. Magnifying the original barcode 400% in
your original cover.pdf and the one I made showed no difference in
quality which was acceptable.

The Scribus inserted barcode is certainly a lot clearer

I can only assume the original cover design was done with an inferior
work practice.

--
Owen