[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 34, Issue 35

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 14:42:57 CET 2011

On 01/10/2011 05:35 AM, Tony Hamilton wrote:

> This sequence gives me the option of showing a line on any or all of the
> 4 sides of the rectangle which forms a boundary or border to the elected
> paragraph. For example, If I choose to use a visible continuous line of
> 0.05 pt width on the top boundary of the paragraph then I create the
> appearance of the top line of text in the paragraph as having been
> 'overlined', rather than underlined. In my opinion this looks  an
> attractive way of separating this para. from the preceding one.
>
> If I create this appearance while defining or modifying  a style in OO
> Write, I can now very quickly apply the effect of  para. separator at
> will throughout my document by applying that style to any para. I
> select.
>
> I want to do the same thing in Scribus, but can find no way of doing
> it.
>
> Creating gaps is not what I want - I want a line.
>
> Adding an in-line graphic is not satisfactory: using a style means
> (almost) a 1 click amount of work to create the para. separators, via
> styles. To do it any other way is to ignore the whole concept of styles.
> And I'm not really interested in creating some sort of 'macro'
> (script ?) which would allow a productivity gain. For a start there is
> then no real connection between the paragraph and the line above it.

I think you don't understand an inline graphic.
Make a horizontal line anywhere on the page. Copy it (Ctrl+C), then in a
text frame in Edit Contents mode, paste the line (Ctrl+V -- something
like one click AFAICT). You paste it just like a character, and it stays
in place just like a line of text. You can left-justify, center, or
right-justify, just like text.

This is also the principle in the fancy bullets video, of pasting a
small graphic like a text character. The main problem with bullets is
that they're not on a keyboard. What the video shows is using other
characters then a search and replace method to change them.

Greg

PS I think if you overuse these between paragraph separators, it just
interferes with the reading of the text.