[scribus] Creating paragraph styles

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 17:23:08 CET 2011

On 01/09/2011 11:07 AM, Tony Hamilton wrote:
> After playing around at the edges with it, I finally used Scribus
> (Stable) to create a real document and found it gratifying to complete
> it successfully. On the way I found a number of questions were raised to
> which I couldn't find answers on the www (that must be a failure of
> Google, right?). I would like to pose these questions to the Scribus
> mailing list, if I may, 1 question to an email (to keep things simple).
>
> The first question is about paragraph styles. The document I needed was
> first produced using Open Office Writer. This was a nightmare, because I
> was using multiple columns, with the left most column used only for
> headings. But I was able to create the text appearance I wanted in the
> body of the document, using Writer - especially the ability to create a
> paragraph style with a border on  a single edge of the paragraph, acting
> as a paragraph separator (using a 'top' border). I can find no way of
> adding borders to a paragraph in either Stable (or the NG version, even
> though it does have a little more function).
>
> Can borders be added to paragraphs in Scribus?

The first question is, what do you mean by "border"?

The border of a frame is the line denoting the edge of the frame, by
default having the color None.

Do you mean a space between the margin of the text in the frame, or some
visible item like a line?

You may be better off not assigning such things in oowriter and
modifying your Paragraph Styles in Scribus as needed. You can specify an
additional space above or below paragraphs as part of the Paragraph Style.

You can create gaps at the top, bottom, left, and right edges of
paragraph in the Shape tab of Properties (this has moved to the Text tab
- columns and text distances in 1.3.9).

If you want to add a line separating paragraphs, this might be done with
an inline graphic...

Greg