[scribus] Spell check

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Jan 7 02:41:22 CET 2011

On Freitag, 7. Januar 2011 01:57:43 John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Peter Linnell <plinnell at scribus.info> wrote:
> > On 01/07/2011 01:09 AM, John Ghormley KJ4UFG wrote:

> > > Thanks, Peter.  Good info!
> > >
> > > And on the most widely used of all Linux distributions, Ubuntu?
> >
> > No clue unfortunately. I suspect if they do not mess with Alex's
> > excellent packaging from Debian (which has happened before), it should
> > work fine. If it does not file a bug in Launchpad please.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Ubuntu 10.10   Scribus 1.3.9
>
> Unless I just do not understand how the system works, it does not.
> Pressing F7 with a text box selected, I get the pop up dialog box.
> However, when testing with known spelling errors, such as "Who dod the
> ..." in the first line of the text, I get noting indicated in the spelling
> dialog box.  If I press close, if says "Spelling check complete".  If that
> is actually true, it must not work with this configuration.
>
> Am I missing something?

Perhaps you could test the same text in another program that uses aspell. If
it works there, Scribus obviously doesn't cooperate with aspell as desired.
Sooner or later (rather sooner) we will have to move forward to a more modern
spell-checking library, and one that works on all supported platforms.

Christoph