[scribus] install failed

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jan 5 21:29:58 CET 2011

On Wednesday 05 January 2011 03:42:23 Jouni Filip Maho wrote:
> On 5 January 2011, at 09:40, I wrote:
> > On 5 January 2011, at 09:24, a.l.e wrote:
> >> you may have missed the step where
> >>
> >> "Activate the unstable packages (fink commander > preferences >
> >> fink, Use unstable packages")."
> >
> > I did at first, and it gave me an option to install version
> > 1.2.5. I did that and it took 15 minutes. After I realised I
> > needed to tick the "unstable" box, I re-installed. That's when I
> > got the 1.3.3 version. This time it took almost 6 hours to
> > install but at least it worked.
>
> I meant 1.3.1.
>
> ---
> jofimaho

Do you really mean 1.3.1? The soon-to-be-obsoleted "stable" version is
1.3.3.14. That's 14 different sub versions of 1.3.3. Version 1.3.4 was
an early attempt using the new sla format that was quickly obsoleted.
1.3.5 is still pretty old. 1.3.9 is what many people use. 1.4.0 should
be the official stable release in about a month.

 I understand that it is expensive to upgrade an older Mac to the
latest OS but that is what you bought when you bought a Mac.  The same
goes for MSWindows, although my XP paritition will still support a
recent Scribus.  For you I don't think things will get better with
time. Given the rapid pace of development of Scribus resources to
support very old versions will be limited or non-existent.

It might pay to equip yourself with the necessary software to compile
new releases as they are announced. But that also means downloading
the libraries, particularly the current Qt, required by the version
you are compiling.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: