[scribus] Organizing the workspace display

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 18:15:37 CET 2011

On 01/04/2011 11:48 AM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>>> In general I think that tool tips which appear after say 5 seconds of
>
>> as an experienced user, i can tell you that having tooltips floating
>> around for 5 seconds is a real inconvenience...
>
> But nobody has talked about that. They should APPEAR efter 5 seconds.
> Not DISappear. So, when you hover your mouse for 5 seconds above the
> disabled menu item or button a tooltip will pop up explaining why it
> is disabled.
>
>> personally, i keep on thinking that tooltips, and popups in general, are
>> not a good solution for warnings.
>
> Well, it seems as if every other software developer thinks different.
> At least if you look at how todays programs work.

I don't think that tooltips are likely to go away. I have to say that
perhaps there should be a word/character threshold, beyond which the
information which is in the tooltip should be easily available somewhere
else. Maybe sometimes the tooltip might say, for example: "See Working
with Text for further information."

This also becomes a push for translators working on the documentation. :-D

Greg