[scribus] Washed out images in PDF printing to Adobe

Tom Benjey benjey at pa.net
Sat Jan 1 14:18:52 CET 2011

> Images in PDFs created by printing to Adobe Acrobat 9 are noticeably
> different than those created by exporting to PDF in that the images are
> washed out in those created by printing to Adobe. Both types of files have
> been submitted to CreateSpace for printing with predictable results. The
> images come out brighter on books that are printed from PDFs created by
> exporting from Scribus. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to
> eliminate this problem with Adobe?

When exporting directly from Scribus, did your choose Web/Screen or Printer?

When printing to Acrobat, did your choose RGB or CMYK? (I'm not sure
it's even possible to "print" a CMYK PDF that way.)

/Peter

When exporting from Scribus, I chose Printer output and the preview showed
the CMYK boxes as being checked. The CMYK Coated Press Output Profile was
used. Preflighting the resultant PDF with Acrobat indicated that the images
were in fact CMYK. The only problem I have with exporting PDFs from Scribus
is that PDF/X-1a:2001 format is not an option, at least not yet on the
Windows version.

When printing to Acrobat, I chose their PDF/X-1a:2001 profile which
apparently forces output to be CMYK. Earlier this week, I produced a cover
file for Lightning Source by printing from Scribus in the same way and that
PDF passed their preflight, something it would not have done if it was not
CMYK because they rigidly enforce the standard on files input to them.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey