[scribus] Signal #6

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Sun Feb 27 16:37:50 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:

> >> After reading your note I tried doing some in frame text editing and
> >> after short time
> >> Scribus crashed with the error message "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION".
> >>
> >> Remember, this is Beta software.
> >
> > Not for much longer I believe !
> >
> > If you use linux, man signal may (but probably may not) give you some
> > clues.
> >
> > My guess is judging by the observation above, a memory allocation
> > error has occurred, the program called abort and the process died from
> > the abort, sig 6
> >
> > I will try to crash it with my 1.4.0 (on linux), though I just
> > finished a pretty big job without any problems.
> >

> Maybe it related to this: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=9778
>
> If you can build from svn, you will get this fix.
>
> Craig

Thanks, Craig.  I am not familiar with the building svn versions, but I may
try that.  However, I completed the job using the Story Editor without any
problems, whatsoever.  That lends credibility to my assertion that in-frame
editing is the problem.  So, since I have, and do, use the Story Editor in
several past versions without any difficulties and a great deal of ease, I
think I will stay with it and see if there is an RC2 that fixes the in-frame
editing problem, or a stable 1.4.0 release that may do the same.  But, iMO,
RC1 falls somewhat short of a releasable new stable version.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org