[scribus] Using BBS instead

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:53:12 CET 2011

On 23 February 2011 17:04, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/11, Jan Schrewe wrote:
>
> > I believe the user experience in a forum is usually bad. There is the
> > problem of a bad interface that a user normally can't change.
>
> Are you referring to some specific forum engines? Some specific forum
> themes?

Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to stumble upon an engine and/or theme
that works. Most of them feel rather clumsy to me and you need way more
clicks to get anywhere then with a decent mail program.

The other thing is that search generally sucks in form software. Again, this
might be subjective.

> > The other thing about forums is that you have to actively do something to
> > follow what's going on  (going to a site, hitting reload every couple
> mnutes
> > to see if anything new happened).
>
> You absolutely don't have to do that. Every decent forum CMS has
> thread subscriptions so that you are pinged in the mailbox if
> something happens. Some even go as far as providing per-section and
> per-thread RSS feeds.

Yes, but with RSS you get a timeline of messages and not threads.

If you get updates via E-Mail, you end up with a mailing list, in which
posting is more complicated. Or is it possible to hit just reply and the
mail gets posted by the system to the forum?

Per-section and per-thread notifications are fine, but they again involve
subscribing and searching actively.

The other thing is that this is just not the standard way to use a form, so
using the forum via mail feels mostly like an afterthought.

Jan