[scribus] Using BBS instead

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 02:51:06 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:33:06 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
"William F. Maddock" <billsey at earthlink.net> dijo:

>>> Instead of using a mailing list for scribus support, how about we
>>> use a forum/BBS?
>>>
>>> I find the mailing list to archaic and clunky.
>>>
>>> Forums are much easier to use for the end user who has problems they
>>> want to resolve.

>>more seriously, what are the advantage of a forum against a mailing
>>list?
>>
>>i'm aware of the fact that many people prefer asking questions in a
>>forum, but i'd like to read from a forum-power-user what would are
>>the good reasons to switch to a forum.

>>personally, i've rather made bad experiences with forums... but it
>>may be just me!

>I prefer the mailing list format for this group. First off, almost
>everyone gets an email account as part of their Internet access
>account without having to pay more for it (and each of us can moderate
>our own email account(s) to our own heart's content). With a forum,
>somebody has to own secure, and maintain a website (which is neither
>easy, nor free), and individual users do not have the democracy of
>moderating what gets into their access and what does not. If you want
>into the forum you have to trust that someone serving as a moderator
>has at least minimally similar ideas with you as to what is allowable
>and/or appropriate (which always results in spats, bans, and other
>such unpleasantnesses).

I participate in forums and e-lists, and I don't give a hoot which
Scribus uses. Scribus is open source, so if someone wants a forum badly
enough, go create one. Meantime, I can think of a lot of things that we
could better spend our energies on.