[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Feb 22 03:44:39 CET 2011

On Monday 21 February 2011 19:49:32 John Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:05:20 -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Monday 21 February 2011 14:25:37 John Brown wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > That is a reason not to use a font? Because the commoners use
> > > it?
> > >
> > > I would think that the work of an amateur typographer will look
> > > amateurish whichever font he uses. Similarly, I would expect
> > > the work of the professional to look professional regardless.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Alias John Brown.
> >
> > Well its a tough world out there. When you submit to a prepub
> > reviewer you don't want to give them an extra reason for denying
> > a review.
>
> [snip]
>
> > In Bringhurst I find the passage:
> > "When the only font available is Cheltenham or Times Roman the
> > typographer must make the most of its virtues...but there is
> > nothing to be gained by pretending that Times Roman is Bembo..."
> >
> > And Felici says simply:
> >
> > "Times is probably used inappropriately more than any other
> > typeface today."
> >
> > Felici also shows a passage set in TR followed by the same
> > passage set in Sabon showing the advantage of the wider face. It
> > looks much less crowded.
> >
> > One more time. There are lots of better choices. It is not a
> > matter of being commoners, it is a matter of looking like
> > amateurs. The authorities, at least the ones on my shelf, seem to
> > agree.
> >
> > One nice font that I forgot to mention is Stone.
> >

> > --
> > John Culleton
>
> Well, since they don't come more common than I, who can't tell the
> difference between Arial and Helvetica, I will take your word for
> it.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) Why did the word-processing world settle upon these pitiful,
> hopeless fonts Arial and Times New Roman? I suppose the others did
> it because Microsoft did, but why did Microsoft choose these fonts?
>
> 2) Suppose Microsoft decided that for Office 2015, the default font
> will be one of those that you like. Would it still find favour with
> Felici, Bringhurst and Company, or would its excellent technical
> and artistic qualities suddenly become not so good?
>
> Regards,
> Alias John Brown.

Felici at least has nothing against big commercial companies, since
his book is published by Adobe.  As for why Microsoft chose Times New
Roman for their flagship font I have no idea. I also have no idea why
IBM pushed Displaywrite as a word processor or  tried to convert all
their customers from COBOL and FORTRAN to PL/I. I cannot explain why
Vista was so bad or why Windows 7 is apparently so good. The decision
making of large organizations is often good but just as often
atrocious.  I have worked for some large organizations and executive
hubris is epidemic in all of them.

I use free fonts wherever it makes sense to do so. But I don't think
and investment of 25  or even 50 dollars in a font and its Italic
version is a bad move. After all they don't wear out.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: