[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

William F. Maddock billsey at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 03:10:12 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 19:49 -0500, John Brown wrote:

> 2) Suppose Microsoft decided that for Office 2015, the default font
> will be one of those that you like. Would it still find favour with
> Felici, Bringhurst and Company, or would its excellent technical and
> artistic qualities suddenly become not so good?

Sometimes I think there are a few folks around who do publishing that
have too much money to spend, claiming that this font or that font or
some other is really the one you ought to use (when it could cost over
$100 for a single face). I'm not terribly concerned with the artistic
values of one font over another. My main concern is summed up rather
well as, "does the font disappear into the words, or does it get in the
way?" As someone who does write I would much rather my readers not even
notice what font I am using—and Lord, save me from ever developing an
attitude toward fonts.