[scribus] Need Arial, Times New Roman Font "equivalents" to look/print nice in PDF

Ondřej Němeček ondrej.nemecek.news.scribus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:22:33 CET 2011

Dne 21.2.2011 20:25, John Brown napsal(a):

> On John Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:17:59 -0500,
> John Culleton wrote:
>>
>> On Monday 21 February 2011 12:52:35 Rob Oakes wrote:
>>> Hi Drw,
>>>

>>> I personally don't care for either Arial or Times New Roman. I
>>> think they are significantly overused.
>>>

> [snip]
>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rob Oakes
>>
>> I agree.
>>

> [snip]
>
>> Second, because Times is the default for
>> MSWord it is easily recognizable as the product of an amateur
>> typographer. So I suggest something outside the Microsoft Windows
>> collection, such as Bitstream Charter, Minion, Adobe Garamond or
>> Sabon.
>> --
>> John Culleton
>
> That is a reason not to use a font? Because the commoners use it?
>
> I would think that the work of an amateur typographer will look
> amateurish whichever font he uses. Similarly, I would expect the
> work of the professional to look professional regardless.
>

> Regards,
> Alias John Brown.

You are true, but professional also knows which fonts are suitable
for which use and has also knowledge about font quality (kerning,
ligatures, accents...). So professional usually now use default
fonts. From this reasons professionals tend not overuse Times etc.

Best regards,
Ondrej

--
Ondrej Nemecek