[scribus] new

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 14:38:38 CET 2011

On 02/07/2011 04:52 AM, R. Bastian wrote:
> Salut bisamme,
>
> I am new on the list and a native brbll-bla-bla speaker. Later I learned french, german, latin and also a bit
> English. Sometimes my questions will not make sense: please, translate them back to french :-)
>
> I use Tex&  Latex since many years, but my present project would need an acrobatic "documentclass".
> A friend of me has the project to create a newspaper - so i think it is the best time to try "Scribus".
>
> My Debian 5.0 installed Scribus 1.3.3.12. Is it too old ?
> I wish to install a stable version, using a save format which is readable (less) and "editable" (emacs).
>
> I hate to work in the WYSIWYG manner : with the mouse, I get only trash.
> Is there a way to use Python like a markup language?
> (the 'Document-1.sla' I saved looks like a big preamble with hundreds of default params)

I think you'll find that you need the WYSIWYG to make sure your design
is working.

Many will develop their own templates for things like newsletters, with
a set of Paragraph and Character Styles that they use repeatedly. It's
best to figure this out manually before you start to automate the process.

Python scripts can help with automating some aspects of the task. You
would need some knowledge of Python to be able to customize various
existing scripts to your needs.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Category:Scripts

I hope Scribus works out for you.

Greg