[scribus] Master pages

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 15:46:41 CET 2011

On 02/03/2011 08:43 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011 12:12:34 John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:20:06 -0800 (PST)
>>

>> You can't edit objects on a master page while in a document page.
>> The concept of the master page is for items that you want to apply
>> to all or several pages and you don't want them to be changed.
>>
>> If you want to create automatic text frames look at the New
>> Document dialog box where you can check the box for Automatic Text
>> Frames.

(This is probably more than you wanted/needed, but I thought it would be
good to lay all this out in one place for various readers.)

A Master Page is just a background to whatever material you put on top
of it. The default Master Page is the blank one labeled 'Normal'.
At least with the way that MPs work now (there have been some
discussions about changing this), it is meant to be a fixed set of
features, and that anything you would like to change from page to page
should use the normal editing process. Only one kind of MP can be used
on a given document page.

You have all the same tools to edit MPs as you have for normal editing,
but you can't edit both at the same time, and you can't even send
something to/from an MP like you might send something from one layer to
another. You can, of course, create an MP from a regular page, but this
is something of a one-way street.

You can have a whole family of MPs, variations on each other, applying
as you see fit to the various pages of your document. There is nothing
about MPs that prevents usage of Automatic frames, though I might add
that there is no such thing as Automatic frames for MPs.

Greg