[scribus] OO styles (from ODT) once again

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Feb 2 20:07:42 CET 2011

On Wednesday 02 February 2011 09:08:30 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 08:30 AM, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> > Þann mið 2.feb 2011 13:18, skrifaði Cezary Grabski:

> >> No... It not solving my problem as I will lost bolds, italics
> >> etc this "feature" is maybe usable if you work with one ODT
> >> document, but in my
> >> case I import itno Scribus doc many (more than 20) ODT files.
> >> After that I
> >> have aprox 30-40 additional styles!
> >>
> >> I must try to add feature for omit styles from ODT file.
> >>
> >> cezaryece
> >
> > My poor memory recalls a similar subject not very long time ago,
> > I think the solution was to use custom styles in OOo/LibO to make
> > the italics and bold. That is you make a style *bold* and another
> > /italics/ - Scribus imports all the ODT styles, you throw away
> > all those except your bold/italics styles.
>
> some minimal testing in which I created no styles only produced an
> equivalent of the default style from oowriter.
> You might check in oowriter under Format > Styles and Formatting to
> see what styles you have applied. If you haven't applied any, they
> shouldn't end up being created by Scribus.
>
> As Sveinn suggests, if you don't use styles to make bold and
> italics character style changes, you shouldn't get exported styles
> to Scribus.
>
> Greg

Here is a crazy idea that might work, using Linux.
1. save the file as LaTeX from OO Writer.
2. Using Gvim editor, delete all the frontmatter stuff before the
actual content begins.
3. Convert \textbf{...} and textit{...} to something Scribus will
recognize as a Scribus style. Terminate each such string with a
carriage return instead of  a } This can be done by a mass command
also. AFAIK.
4.Then Identify the other latex commands in the text and delete them
one command at a time using mass changes. In other words to delete all
\par commands do something like:
:%s/\\par/\r\r/g
This puts a blank line between paragraphs.
5. Delete by mass change all those unneeded { and }. OO Writer fills
the file with hundreds (thousands?) of such pairs.

This method depends in large part on the users familiarity with the
Gvim mass change commands, including the substitute (s) and / (find)
commands and the  g (global) and c (conditional) suffixes.

Anyhow that is how I would do it.  The Sed command which comes with
Unix-like systems could also be used, or Awk etc.

John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus:
http://www.booklocker.com/p/books/4055.html
Typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com