[scribus] Bleed.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:28:56 CET 2011

2011/2/1 John Ghormley KJ4UFG <kj4ufg at sera.org>

> I'm told some digital printers do not require bleeds but since we are using
> an offset method of printing, bleeds are necessary.

Hi,

The actual requirement for bleed does not depend on the printing method but
on design and post-press operations.

You need bleed to assure that there will be no (ugly) white space between
the edge of the paper and a graphic element on the page once the printed
sheet is trimmed on the guillotine, when such design is intended by the
designer. There is no need for bleed if there's no graphic element going up
to the very edge of the page.

Whether the job was printed digital or not has no incidence on the necessity
for bleed. However, this comment from some some digital printers make me
think that some of them might not be too keen about trimming (they might
even not be equipped for this) and want to hand out what comes out of the
printer without sophisticated post-press operations, including trimming. The
workaround is to shop around!

On a digital printer, the paper comes at pre-cut sizes that often match the
page size of the job, thus reducing the post-press operation in some cases.
On a sheet fed or a web press post-press operations are a necessity in the
vast majority of cases (if not in all cases). If only to get rid of the
color bars that are compulsory for the make ready.

HTH

Louis