[scribus] Bleed.

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Tue Feb 1 18:27:07 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM, kerpsa <kerpsa at kerpsa.net> wrote:

> I'm going to show an example to the printer and see if it's right,
> though it doesn't seem so to me.
>
> Hey,
> I've been thinking about bleeds in Scribus lately and would be very
> interested to hear how this thing worked out?
>
> Anna
>
> For what its worth, I have submitted two covers, one for each of two
issues, for the quarterly magazine I produce.  The first was done with
Scribus 1.3.3.14 and the latest, the February 2011, issue was done with
1.3.9/1.4.0.  I updated half way through the production of the second issue.

My covers are full page color images outside and inside.  I used the bleed
script with 1.3.3.14 for the first and the Pre-Press pdf export dialog
options for the last issue.  The results worked out fine.  Because the
magazine is relatively thin, we use staple stitch binding.  Therefore, I use
bleeds on only the outside edges and none on the binding edges of the four
pages I layout for the cover.

I'm told some digital printers do not require bleeds but since we are using
an offset method of printing, bleeds are necessary.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*
editor at sera.org