[scribus] Text Wrap Around SVG Group

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 12:15:11 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 12:23 AM, Mike Sleger wrote:
> After doing some research on Google as to why I cannot wrap text in my text frame around an imported SVG (short answer is - you can't), I naturally have to wonder why not?  If all the polygons in an imported SVG are in a group, and that group has a rectangular extent, why can it not be used for wrapping text?  Also, why are contour lines not available on groups, just frames?  It seems hokey that I should have to ungroup the imported SVG (not good when it contains dozens of polygons), or superimpose a "dummy" frame over the group, simply for wrapping text.  The naive approach would be simply select the group, go to the Group tab in PP, and select a text wrap option under Shape (if it wasn't grayed out).

I guess I can imagine situations where this would be slightly
convenient, but many of the SVGs I have used have such a large bounding
box that using that isn't helpful.

I don't know why you see creating an empty frame as such an enormous
task. It may not be intellectually elegant, but with layout you're
simply trying to achieve the desired result in the easiest way.

Considering the editing time, I have found that using multiple empty
frames is much more efficient for an irregular SVG than if I had one
contour line to edit in some complex way. The same thing is true for
polygons with a complex shape.

Greg