[scribus] reducing PDF size

Meho R. mehor at gmx.com
Mon Aug 22 03:10:44 UTC 2011

On 22.08.2011 00:00, Christen wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I know this is a topic that has been discussed many times on the mailing
> list/forum, but I have been unable to find a simple solution. I design a
> newsletter, and am trying to convert it from a printed publication to an
> e-newsletter, to be emailed out. However, as you all know, the size of a
> Scribus-generated PDF is huge - much too large to be emailed. I looked on
> the wiki and found the "reduce pdf size" script, but the two scripts given
> were for Mac and Linux - I'm running Win Vista 32-bit. I also found a "web
> optimized pdf" perl script that would probably achieve the desired
> results.but the problem is, both of these scripts seem rather complicated.
> I'm primarily a designer, with almost no experience in programming. The
> scripts look a little intimidating. So I was wondering - is there an easier
> way to reduce the pdf size in Windows? Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated
>
> TIA,
>
> Christen
This was discussed couple of days ago. I'm going to point out three
things you can try and see if they help:

1. Limit image resolution to 72dpi (in "Save as PDF" dialog: "General >
Maximum Image Resolution")

2. Set profile optimized for screen/web instead of press (in "Save as
PDF" dialog: "Color > Output Intended for > Screen/Web")

3. Let vector graphics stay that way, without conversion to bitmap (in
"Save as PDF" dialog: "General > Embed PDF & EPS files (EXPERIMENTAL)").

M.