[scribus] Saving as PDF with a smaller file size

Meho R. mehor at gmx.com
Fri Aug 19 10:35:43 UTC 2011

On 19.08.2011 07:29, Peter Nermander wrote:
> Most of the tips given will not help much, because the main reason
> that Scribus PDF becomes big is NOT bitmap images.
>
> The reason Scribus PDFs become big is that Scribus is very detailed
> about the placement of objects, including text.
>
> If you create a PDF from a word processing program it will most likely
> print the text line by line (i.e. it will set coordinates and then
> print a whole line of text).
>
> As I understand it Scribus places text glyph by glyph. For each
> character on a line it will set coordiantes and then print the glyph.
> For a text with 80 characters per line this more or less makes the
> file 80 times bigger (because instead of just placing each line
> Scribus will place 80 characters per line).
>
> The devs may correct me if I'm wrong, maybe this is something that has
> improved in later versions?
>
> /Peter
Even if so, it's a newsletter with two pages, so I don't think that the
way Scribus places text on page results in such a dramatic increase in
size. Also, I'm not sure if placing text glyph by glyph would necessary
result in larger file size; take TeX as an example: it has somehow
similar approach and is placing "boxes" on the page, each box containing
one character, but the resulting PDF file (20 page test file containing
text only) is smaller even than the one produced by LibreOffice Writer
(~117 KB vs. ~127 KB).