[scribus] Saving as PDF with a smaller file size

Peter Linnell plinnell at scribus.net
Fri Aug 19 08:07:52 UTC 2011

On 08/18/2011 10:29 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
> Most of the tips given will not help much, because the main reason
> that Scribus PDF becomes big is NOT bitmap images.
>
> The reason Scribus PDFs become big is that Scribus is very detailed
> about the placement of objects, including text.
>
> If you create a PDF from a word processing program it will most likely
> print the text line by line (i.e. it will set coordinates and then
> print a whole line of text).
>
> As I understand it Scribus places text glyph by glyph. For each
> character on a line it will set coordiantes and then print the glyph.
> For a text with 80 characters per line this more or less makes the
> file 80 times bigger (because instead of just placing each line
> Scribus will place 80 characters per line).
>
> The devs may correct me if I'm wrong, maybe this is something that has
> improved in later versions?
>
> /Peter
>
> ___

Hi,

A correct summary of our way of exporting PDF.

The focus has been since 0.4 days: make sure it will faithfully reliably
reproduce on screen in print.

So:

Size of the file is of secondary importance to print fidelity -
especially when printing in a commercial print environment.

Internally Scribus is *extremely* precise. Something like 0.001 mm if I
remember correctly.

HTH,
Peter