[scribus] inserting links into a document

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 12:34:29 UTC 2011

On 08/15/2011 05:53 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> On 8/15/11 11:51 AM, Ondřej Němeček wrote:
>>
>> I think Chris wants hyperlinks! There are pdf tools to do this,
>> but I never used this...
>
> ah, ok!
>
> just put a pdf link frame above the text you want to link... and double
> click on the frame to define it.
>
> there is a pdf toolbar with the tools to create a link.

There are some particulars about this process that may help you avoid
frustration.

If you have a web address in the text of a text frame, Adobe Reader will
interpret this as a link, and clicking it will send you to the link. I
don't know about other PDF readers that someone might have.

Aside from using the actual link PDF tool in Scribus (the two footprints
icon), you can convert a text frame into a linking object.

Insert Link Annotation
Make a frame, right-click on it to show the context menu, then select
PDF Options > Annotation Properties. This brings up a dialog which by
default will show Link -- using this you could link to somewhere else in
the same PDF document. Another choice: External Link -- this will allow
linking to another PDF on your computer. The choice: External Web-Link
-- is the one you want for a web address. Just fill in the complete
address, click Ok.

Starting with a Text Frame
Make a text frame, then right-click and select PDF Options > Is PDF
Annotation. Now right-click again, and you will be able to select PDF
Options > Annotation Properties. Here the default will be Text, so
change that to External Web-Link, etc.

With either of these methods, no text will show in this frame, so don't
make the mistake of making a text frame with text, then converting to
PDF Annotation and so on. If you want to have some word of a text frame
seem to be clickable you need to make the text, then make the hyperlink
frame on top of the words that you wish to appear to be clickable.

Hope this is understandable.

Greg