[scribus] Icons again.

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 14 14:40:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 00:24:51 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM, john Culleton wrote:
>
> > But a longer lasting solution to changing sizes would be to redo
> > them in svg via Inkscape. Then any size png icon could be created
> > as needed in the size needed by the developers.
>
> Unfortunately, no. You still have to draw versions for different
> resolutions, because display graphics = pixel alignment. You can't
> get that automagically by just scaling down things. So SVG only
> allows to tweak things easier.
>
> See this for illustration: http://i.imgur.com/atDpC.jpg
> The icon are: 256x256, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16.
>
> I zoomed in so that you could see the differences introduced manually
> to fit destination resolution.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Another thought: prepare the initial icon in a large size and then
downsize as needed in e.g., Gimp. IMO the icon need not be elaborate
or have fine detail at any size. It is after all just a symbol. If we
can upscale or downscale fonts more or leas without limit we should be
able to do the same with a "font" of icons, similar to dingbats.

Just trying to be helpful.