[scribus] shadycharacters.co.uk

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 22:11:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:31:41 -0700
Barry McKenna <bmcken at pobox.com> dijo:

>Thanks for the link to shadycharacters: It's just astounding that his
>post on the pilcrow drew so many comments, which likely means that
>there are more than just a small few who are concerned about the
>'roots' of the 'trees' in our forest. I had just acquired Maryanne
>Wolf's "Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading
>Brain." Upon learning of the 'ox-turning' I immediately, to my
>disappointment, looked in the index, hoping to find a reference
>there. Unfortunately not. But thanks to you, I have indeed learned a
>few things that may already lend me a heightened perspective on what
>she DOES include.

I recently read Proust and the Squid for a class on the psychology of
reading. The woman can really write!

As for the turning of the oxen, I first learned that as "writing in
plowshares," although I don't recall that Wolf used that term.

Most people are surprised to learn that humans have devised over 400
different writing systems. About half are no longer used, and most of
the remainder are used only for a few languages. It makes you wonder
how many writing systems Scribus will ultimately support.