[scribus] Quotes -- or, about typographical conventions

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Wed Aug 10 14:33:52 UTC 2011

Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at ...> writes:

> There are a number of typographical insertions which indeed can be overused:

> 3. excessive use of commas. This is something that clearly has been a
> moving target over time. If you look at books from the 18th, 19th, and
> early 20th centuries, they are used in great abundance, separating any
> collection of words that might be interpreted as a phrase, modifier, or
> anything outside of a simple sentence structure. I think things are
> coming around to the idea that you should read a comma as inserting a
> short pause for the reader, so that if a pause is clearly necessary,
> then probably a comma should be inserted, but if it makes just as much
> sense without a pause, then omit it.

Which is in fact the reason why comma, colon and period where invented
in the first place:
http://www.shadycharacters.co.uk/2011/02/the-pilcrow-part-1/

This is a very interesting blog, make sure you check out other shady
characters like at-sign, ampersand, interobang and octothorpe, too! :-)

/Andreas