[scribus] Downloading vs 1.5.0

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 16:21:17 UTC 2011

On 08/08/2011 11:34 AM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 07, 2011 08:07:33 pm bobparham at comcast.net wrote:
>> I have vs 1.4.0rc2 and I would like to try out vs 1.5.0 but I would
> like
>> to keep the version I have until I feel comfortable with the latest
>> version. Do I need to take any steps to insure that the new version
> will
>> not _replace_ the older version and that I would wind up with both?
>>
>> Bob P
>
> I download each version overnight with a script. I aim the svn update
> at a differnt file in each case (/usr/local/src/s140 and
> /usr/local/src/s150). In each of my download scripts I copy the
> scribus file to /usr/local/bin/scrib4 or /usr/local/bin/scrib5 as
> appropriate.
>
> Here are the latest versions of my scripts:
> ----------------------------------
> cd /usr/local/src/
> svn up svn://scribus.net/branches/Version135/Scribus s140
> cd s140
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
> make
> make install
> cd scribus
>
> cp /usr/local/bin/scrib4 /usr/local/bin/scrib4.sav
> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> cp scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> --------------------------------------
> cd /usr/local/src/
> rm -r s150/*
> svn co svn://scribus.net/trunk/Scribus s150
> cd s150
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus_svn
> # -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1
> # -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1
> make
> make install
> cd scribus
> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib5
> --------------------------
> These have some personal modifications but you get the general idea.

Caveats:

I think most of us would agree that John is out on a limb and perhaps
sawing off the wrong side with his method.

There is not such great value in updating every night. If your Scribus
is broken, you want to keep an eye out for fixes, otherwise some more
modest updating would seem to be worthwhile.

Something that John does with his script is to wipe out his 1.5.0svn,
which has some risk of breaking his current 1.5.0svn installation, about
which we have recurrent messages from John about these episodic events.
In a sense, he's playing Russian roulette every night.

Our understanding is that the abiding value of 1.5.0 for him is its
ability to export to PDF x-1a, certainly understandable, but in which
case I would think it highly important to maintain a working version. It
would be not so difficult to save a working version while a more current
one is experimented with.

Greg