[scribus] Quotes.

John Ghormley KJ4UFG kj4ufg at sera.org
Sat Aug 6 17:23:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:21 PM, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>wrote:

> When typing text with a number of quoted words or word strings the
> present arrangement of choosing a quote character from a menu gets
> tedious. Has consideration been given to a "smart quote" feature? A "
> character at the left edge of the line or one preceded by a space
> becomes automatically a left double quote and all other " become right
> double quotes.
> --
> John Culleton

I don't understand the problem, John.  One opens a quoted string with a
single keystroke and closes it whenever he/she wishes, with another single
keystroke.  I cannot understand how one would make that much simpler.

This will not apply to everyone, but in my magazine columns, I often put
long quotes in their own paragraphs and have a quoted style that is applied
to that paragraph using the Story Editor.

Very seldom, however, do I use the Story Editor as a word processor or type
directly into the frame, even.  I would prefer to use the spell and grammar
checking capabilities of a word processor than to wing it, depending on my
own abilities where those functions are not present.  So, when my text gets
imported into a frame, it is composed, already, and I merely need to apply
the proper formatting to fit the layout.

I suppose if you want quote marks that curve from the top in toward the
quote on both ends there is more than one keystroke on each end involved.  I
totally eschew those marks as tedious and a bit old fashioned, but to each
his own.  Using them would slightly complicate the matter by adding two more
keystrokes.
--
John Ghormley  KJ4UFG
Editor, SERA *Repeater Journal*