[scribus] Scribus on Mac OS X...?

Jan Schrewe jschrewe at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:58:20 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 06:12, Mike Sleger <chappa-ai at q.com> wrote:

> Hello, I've been using Scribus for over a year now on a Windows XP system
> and currently in the transition to a new MacBook Pro (i7 Intel quad-core).
>  I'm not too impressed with Apple's attempt at DTP through Pages and don't
> have the money for Quark or InDesign.  I'd like to keep using Scribus (I
> like its features and price).  I've read mixed reviews about its ability to
> install and run on OS X and I haven't seen much information about it at the
> Scribus site.  So, some questions for anybody who's been using the OS X
> version of Scribus on a MacBook:
>
> How complicated is the installation?

Depends. If you install the .dmg from scribus: Download, unpack, copy to
Apllications, run.

I tried installing scribus with fink and it didn't work. That is fink didn't
work and I didn't like it.

I ended up installing scribus usimf homebrew (
http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/). After you have installed homeprew you
need manually download the installation file for scribus (
http://www.schafproductions.com/assets/scribus.rb) und copy it
to /usr/local/Library/Formula/. After that it you can install scribus by
running brew install scribus. That is, if I haven't forgotten something. If
something goes wrong just write me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(user_interface)

> How "stable" is the current release?

I run scribus-1.4rc2 and never had any Problems.

> How fast does it run?  (It absolutely crawls on my Windows system with 4 GB
> RAM)

No Problems on a Mac Book Air 13'' with 4Gb RAM.

> Can files created in the Windows version be opened in the OS X version?
>  What are the equivalent versions between the two platforms?

That should work. At least Linux Files work on Mac. 1.4 on Mac is 1.4 on
Windows.