[scribus] from raymond mcinnis

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Apr 30 12:36:01 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 29, 2011 06:18:50 pm Ray McInnis wrote:
> hello:
>
> a newbie to scribus, i am having some success, and some
failures,
> basically blundering my way.
>
> (the mail should bring schaefer's manual today.)
>
> i work in both linux and windows, -- and this is one of my
blunders, out
> which i was extracted by a friend -- and made the mistake of
downloading
> scribus 1.4 (still in beta).
>
> i have three questions:
>
> 1) with scribus 1.3, how do you paste a whole odt file into a
scribus
> file, and, page by page,  have the the entire file distributed
evenly?

> 2) where do you find out the functions of the commands p30,
p31, etc?

> 3) where do you find recommended page formatting settings?
>
> sincerely
>
> raymond mcinnis
> edit your options.
>
> Scribus Forums are available at http://forums.scribus.net
>
> Notice: Scribus mailing lists were migrated to a new host and
now reside at
> lists.scribus.net, so a new list address scribus at lists.scribus.net
has to
> be used.

First, welcome. Second, Scribus 1.4.0 RC3 is pretty much what
Scribus 1.4.0 will be when it is released. The managers of Scribus
are very conservative. When the last bug is found and squashed
they will redesignate the release to stable. But it is usable now.

The series designated 1.3.3.? is pretty obsolete now but that is
what is  described in the Pittman, Schaefer et al. Manual.  The
series 1.3.3.x was succeeded by a development series 1.3.5
through 1.3.9, which is well described in a newer book by Cedric
Gemy called "Scribus 1.3.5".  This book is more tutorial in nature
The 1.3.5 etc.  development series ended up as the new stable
version 1.4.0 which is in the release candidate stage now.

Any version you are likely to have will do useful work. But the later
versions will have more features and will be easier to use.

When you fire up Scribus you first get a document description
screen which has default settings. This may or may not suit what
you usually use. When starting with a new install of e.g. 1.4.0 I
cancel that screen and go to the menu item File-> Preferences.
There I set the default document size to letter (I am in the U.S.),
 the default color palette to Scribus Open Office CMYK and so on.

Then I use menu item File-> New which takes me back to that
document description screen. I can set margins, number of pages
expected and so on. If I have a multipage document with lots of
text I also click on Automatic Text Frames which will put a text
frame on each page. Thus you can flow in your entire odt file as
described by Owen.

Experiment with the program, read the books and have fun.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: