[scribus] Ghostscript

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 27 14:56:04 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:36:52 am Louis Desjardins
wrote:
> 2011/4/26 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>
>
> > On 04/26/2011 03:21 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> >> hi

The only

document is. In

> >> well, i know it may sound picky, but i prefert to fix this
thread,
> >> before somebody picks it up from the archive and gets a
wrong advice:

> >> - ghostscript is not needed by scribus to create PDFs.
> >>
> >> - you can work with scribus without having to install
ghostscript.

> >> - you only need ghostscript for some specific functions
(print preview,
> >> ...) or to include specific type of content (loading a PDF or an
EPS
> >> into an image frame, ...)
> >>

> >> so:
> >>
> >> - it's correct that you probably can start working with
scribus without
> >> installing ghostscript
> >>
> >> - it's not correct that you need ghostscript to create PDFs
> >>
> >> - it's correct that you need ghostscript to include some
types of
> >> contents (into your documents or PDFs)
> >>
> >>     -- when you are rasterizing a vector file into an image
frame

> Considering the confusion around Ghostscript would it be
possible to modify
> the warning into something that would simply state that.
Getting an error
> message on the first install of Scribus is not fun from the user
> perspective. It's not appealing, to say the least.
>
> This question is often raised. While we cannot control all the
parameters
> when someone installs Scribus, we could at least mention what
is important
> and what is not. I know we could put it in a readme file but a bit
more
> verbose warning could well solve the issue.
>
> Louis

When I write about Scribus (see below) I just state that Ghostscript
needs to be installed first. Technically it doesn't but my little white
lie makes the whole problem go away.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: