[scribus] Export as images / ICC

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Apr 21 12:02:24 UTC 2011

On Thursday 21 April 2011 02:05:32 a.l.e wrote:
> hi C
>
> > I'd like to know if I export as image (my whole page) instead
of as
> > PDF, how can I apply a CMYK colour profile? I am not sure if
the ICC
> > profile for a printer can be applied in such a case.
> >
> > Should I then use PNG or JPG for export?
>
> afaik, export to image is not meant as a print ready exporting.
>
> export to pdf if you want high quality files (with icc profiles and
in
> CMYK)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
 Agreed. As I understand it JPG, PNG  and SVG only use the RGB
color model. Printers want CMYK.

Also printer LSI strongly prefers a PDF in X/1-a:2001 format. A good
workaround is to send the cover image in TIFF format which they
also accept for B/W books. TIFF can handle CMYK.

For color interiors LSI only accepts PDF X/1-a:2001 for both the
interior and the cover.

My workaround is to load the sla file into Scribus 1.5.0 and save it
in the preferred PDF X/1-a:2001 format. But not everyone has ready
access to 1.5.0, which must be compiled. A nice feature for
MSWin and OS X users would be a snapshot of 1.5.0 compiled for
each of those platforms.  In my experience it works fine.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: