[scribus] Outline

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Sun Apr 17 22:04:38 UTC 2011

On 4/17/2011 12:25 PM, Alessandro Levati wrote:
> Hi,

>>> This isn't really a thumbnail-type utility. It shows a list
>>> of a documents contents, i.e., the object names (with filter
>>> if desired), then allows you to jump to that item and select
>>> it.
>>>
>>> So maybe "List and Pounce" :D -- that should produce some
>>> interesting translations!
>>>
>>> "Object List/Select" -- a bit more sedate but also perhaps
>>> obtuse.
>>
>> Greg,
>>
>> The tool looks like a useful one. I know that I almost
>> always forget to
>> name my 'objects' -just leaving the default name (useless)
>> - and now
>> that I know there is this tool, that will encourage me to
>> name them.
>>
>> Even before I went to the wiki, from what I read in your
>> response to the
>> thread, my intuition was to prefer 'object list.'
>>
>> Now, having read your wiki, I also note that you make use
>> of the word
>> 'object' or 'objects' four times.
>>
>> 'Object List' gets my vote.
>>
>> With this title, now you no longer have to try to remove
>> the potential
>> confusion of why its not a 'real' outline.
>
> In Italian it's translated as "Schema documento", and in my
> opinion it's a good label for this tool, because it is not
> just a list of the objects included in the document, but
> shows its structure too. So maybe it could be called
> "Document structure" or something similar.
>
>> You can leave that out, and then start immediately to
>> describe the
>> different kinds of 'objects' that can occur in a document.
>
> I think that's a good idea for improving the article.
>

> Regards,
> Alessandro

"Document Structure" is very good, also. Coming from the
programming perspective (Delphi/Win32) "Object" is a concept
that I'm both familiar with and believe that it adds
something as an aid to conceptualization.

Frames, Master pages, etc., are items which have properties,
and that's exactly what - in Object Pascal/Delphi, anyway -
an object has: properties and methods (procedures and
functions).

I know nothing about how Scribus is coded, (?C++) but I know
that some of you talk about Python scripts, I believe. So a
python script that worked on a frame or a master page, etc.,
would be the equivalent of an object's (potential) method.

So, I like retaining the concept of "object," which in
computer culture, is a common concept (although it does mean
slightly different things to different (coding) languages.

So, my amended vote would be for "Document Object Structure."

Barry McKenna