[scribus] interesting article with thoughts for us

Cezary Grabski czarek at oferuje.pl
Tue Apr 12 08:58:55 CEST 2011

I have found interesting article about Adobe software, piracy and users
problem with versioning of software:

http://piracy.ssrc.org/adobe-logic/

I would like you take attention on part:
"Software should ALWAYS be backward compatible with files from older versions,
and should have an option to save a file to be compatible with the old version
whenever possible."

IMHO it touch Scribus as well. OK, we have backward compatibility in one
direction - Scribus opens files created in previous versions.
But I think when 1.4.0 becomes stable release but more and more user start
using 1.5 we will need to have in 1.5 possibility of saving for 1.4 at least.
IMHO it is very very urgent.

Sometimes if I invoke examples how other layouting sofware works I heard that
Scribus should do things in its own way without looking at "competitors".
OK, so let make Scribus saving files for old versions - it seems competitors
are failing with that, let do this better.

cezaryece

PS I think missing feature for saving for 1.3.3.x in 1.4 only helps users to
fast switching into new stable release, which is mile stone.
But in 1.5 (1.6 and above) it helps users in cooperating with 1.4.x users.